Family 2013

Family 2013
Ohana means family. Family means no one gets left behind or forgotten.

Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Even Doctors~





Even Doctor's make mistakes. They are human. To err is human. That said, I am stunned and the guilt was/is heavy.

My bug was given a medication last Thursday that was 3x's the dose she should have been given. I asked for this medication.( I am going to be vague to protect her privacy, so bear with me.) My little girl is tiny. She is barely 54#s at 7 1/2 years old and very tall. My little skinny minny :) After the first dose she complained of a tummy ache. After the second dose she was sleepy which, according to the Dr and the medicine sheet was normal. But for my busy busy girl very unusual! After the third dose .....things went bad. She was crying and complaining of awful tummy pain. She was very sleepy and laying down most of the day. I knew from our Dr that until her system adjusted these things were normal. BUT...I know my girl. I couldn't take it to see her in pain. This child dances and sings and jumps ALL. DAY. LONG. To see her sleepy and out of it, was wrong. I stopped the medicine. Monday morning I got her in to the Dr. Her tummy was still hurting. Now she is VERY constipated & running a fever. After a long talk with her Dr. I saw the look on his face. A light bulb went off for him and he realized she was given a dose of medicine that was 3 times the normal for her size! IF I had continued her meds, assuming all was NORMAL it could have been BAD.

He admitted it and asked for forgiveness admitting he couldn't believe he did this. He told me he was thankful I stopped the medicine and that he would ask GOD to forgive his mistake. He hugged my little Bug. He missed it, the pharmacy missed it.

I LOVE my Doctor. He is wonderful. He loves GOD. He is kind. He is human. And he made a mistake. Always TRUST your instincts.

4 comments:

Mama Bear said...

Oh my goodness, that it totally incredible and that the PHARMACIST would miss it as well. Ugh, thank goodness you went with your instincts and stopped. It just brings shudders to me to think of this happening. Poor little munchkin. Saying many prayers she is feeling better soon.
Blessings, Rhonda

Our journey said...

So glad your momma instincts kicked in! Praise God Bug is ok.

Alexandra said...

i am so glad you have a doctor you trust and a doctor that will admit he doesn't know it all or do it right all the time. that is so hard to find!! If I lived anywhere near you I would ask who it is so we could meet him! lol. we are STILL trying to find a doc we like and Sweet Pea is months old!

I am glad she is feeling better!!

Michelle Riggs said...

I am so glad that you trusted yourself and stopped the medicene. Praise God that your daughter is okay.

"...Once our eyes are opened, we can't pretend we don't know what to do. God who weighs our hearts and keeps our souls knows that we know, and holds us responsible to ACT..." Proverbs 24:12

"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world." James 1:27
"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." -(Mahatma Gandhi)